Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Transamerica what?

OK. After a lot of thought, i think that I am going to be using this as a way to chronicle my experience as a gay male whose partner is undergoing sexual reassignment.

The main reason behind this is that I spent a lot of years denying who I am because I felt some ridiculous need to fit in to what society says is. I finally reached a point in my life about 4 years ago where I was comfortable enough with who I am to just be me. I met a wonderful man and we have been together ever since. I thank my family for being supportive of me in this and for being supportive of everything since then.

People who know me know that I joke that sometimes I would rather be living in a house full of man-hating diesel dykes all on their monthly cycle at the same time than living with my other half, but no matter what, I love my partner and will stick around till the end.

My partner, who will hereafter be referred to as Nay (for my own reasons and because it gives nothing away) has always been a female illusionist. I have known this since before we got together and have never had a problem with it. Actually, we joke about how I should get an award for Drag Husband of the Year. Need a prop for a number, I can build it. Bra strap broke, I can fix it. There really isn't much in the way of problems like that that I haven't handled quickly and efficiently.

In August of 2006, Nay came to me and told me we needed to talk about something. I wasn't sure what was going on. We have our ups and downs like any couple and were going through a rough patch at that time. What I was told is that Nay wanted to go back on Hormone therapy and resume the path to becoming a woman that he was on before we met. I was a little shocked by this, and honestly at first, didn't know how to accept it, but I love him and told him that. You will notice as I go, that my pronouns have a tendency to get confused, but that is unintentional and I will do my best to keep them correct. I use the male pronouns for this part of the story, and will switch later on.

After much thought and discussion, I told Nay that I would be there and supportive throughout this transformation. We did some research and found a local doctor who was willing to take on Nay as a patient and as a pre-operative transsexual as well. Nay started hormone therapy in August and I have to tell you, it was not an easy road. The mood swings were rough, but on top of that, I had to learn how to wrap my brain around the fact that the person I love is becoming physically female, and being attracted to males, this is not an easy task, and may never be. Fortunately, my mother taught me a long time ago that if you truly love someone you can look past the little things to see the bigger love that encompasses it all.

We are at a point now where the outward changes are really kicking in and for the most part, she is living as a female on a daily basis.

I intend to keep this blog as a way of tracking things over time, and perhaps it will help others who are in my position to learn how to live with a partner who suffers from Gender Dysphoria and learn to accept them for who they are, and find that love that will allow you to see past the physical and accept your partner for who they are.

~D

No comments: