Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The stupid little things

I just wanted to take a minute while she is out of town and talk about this. I know, some of you are thinking that I am going to just slam the heck out of her on this post, but that isn't so.

I want to talk about the arguments that are had.

You know what I mean, I believe I referred to it in an earlier post as being times when I would rather live in a house full of "Overly masculine, male hating, PMS'ing at the same time lesbians" (Still love all my lesbinese girls :)).

The thing is, she and I are both equally responsible for those arguments. I can't just say it was the hormones, even if they do play a part in the mood swings. When you have an argument over something like who left the hall light on, or why wasn't the trash taken out, and such, then you know that you need to step back a few paces and take a look at things.

The two of you entered this transition together, and it is only together that you will make it through without killing each other (emotionally speaking that is). There are going to be times where you feel that she is taking things way too seriously, or personally, or nit picking, but there are times when she feels that you are being neglectful or not sympathizing with what her body is going through.

I think that my change in work schedule is probably one of the best things that could have happened to us, because it gives us less time to get in each other's faces, and more opportunity to appreciate the times we do get to spend together. If you find that the two of you are fighting more often than not, maybe you just need to take a little time for yourselves... separately, but together. What I mean, is that you take time for yourself, doing something you enjoy, while she does the same. I am not talking about splitting up, just a little time for yourselves to get yourselves balanced and back on track.

We spend so much time worrying about things like work and bills and such, that we are that much more apt to snap at our loved ones when they are not exactly what we expect. By that I mean that she didn't take out the trash like you asked, you didn't wash a certain outfit like she asked, etc. It all comes together and without time to regain our emotional balance with a little me time, we can end up with stupid arguments over nothing at all. While I always feel it is better to not get that far, sometimes you have to in order to realize that you need to reset your sights.

I think that even if you take 1 day to do some 'me' time, you will find afterwards, that you r relationship is that much better for being able to relieve some of the stress that had been building.

My best you all.

No comments: