Monday, April 30, 2007

Spreading the word

Well, as you will know if you have read from the beginning, I started this blog to chronicle my journey along the road of my partner's transition. I just want to reiterate my reasons and a couple other little things along the way.

Originally, I was rather surprised to find that there really isn't much in the way of support for partners of transgendered individuals where you can find info and such while going through it. After exhausting Google, I decided that it was time for me to respond to this lack by starting this blog. While I can not really offer medical advice, I can be someone to share with, someone to reassure you or even someone to offer a different point of view. I relay my experience through anecdotes, observations and random thoughts that pass through my brain.

While attempting to pimp out my blog, I was asked by the owners of TG Forum (www.tgforum.com) to write up an article about living through the transition of my loved one. Of course, on the upside, was th fact that I was told I could put a link to my blog in the article. Nothing like free advertising. *GRIN* Anyways, like I said, while I can not offer medical advice per se, I am a good person to bounce questions off of as I have spent the last 16 years working in the health field (resume include 16 years as an Emergency Medical Technician, 13 years of Phlebotomy (drawing blood), 3 years of self education and working with various programs for HIV/AIDS prevention, 3 years as a cardiac technician, and working in a number of doctor's offices over the years) I have a good grasp of western medicine and a fair understanding of eastern or alternative medicine as well. If you have something you want to ask, drop me an e-mail. If it is something that I feel everyone can benefit from , I will use it in a post, along with sending you a personal reply, just don't get upset if it takes me a couple days, I have a crazy schedule.

While I am not a doctor, nor do I profess to be anything more than I am, my background in the health field does come in handy when we are working on things like hormone therapy, drug interactions, talking doctor speak and so on. I find that if a doctor finds that they can talk to you in medical terms and you understand, they are more likely to give you more information, and to listen when you suggest something.

Now I know that not everyone out there who is transgendered (I don't care if it is MTF or FTM) can find someone with my background who will be there for every step of the process, and statistically speaking, it seems that many people choose to transition without the additional burden of a relationship. Yes, I called it a burden. Simply put, it is one more thing that you have to worry about and work at while you are transitioning, and I believe I know why they do it single. Who would want to have more on their plate? My partner and I were already together for over 3 years when she came to me and told me what she needed in life, and at that point, as much as I was scared and not too sure how to answer that, i told her that I would be there, and that if it got to be too much to wrap my head around, I would be willing to find someone to talk to (before I knew how little resources there are for people like me). Not only is our relationship doing well (most days, see reference to mood swings) it is actually better than before in some ways, because she is not trying to be someone else.

When you take one half of a relationship and remove the burden of trying to be someone you aren't, you make that half of the relationship so much easier. After all, how can you expect someone to love you if you don't love yourself?

OK, that is a good enough ramble for tonight. If you have questions or suggestions, drop me an e-mail. If you have a comment, leave it here, that is what that little comment link below is for :)

No comments: