Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Fashion

Wow. I never thought that this would end up being a topic for this particular blog.

As it turns out, it is. We are going to my cousin's wedding this weekend, and I have to say, what to wear has been the biggest headache for this weekend. Not the drive, not the accommodations, not figuring out who will watch the dogs, but fashion.

During the course of my almost 35 years, I have had the good fortune to grow up in a professional family, and learned at a young age what the socially acceptable forms of dress are for various occasions. Having an average sized extended family, I have had numerous opportunities to attend weddings, funerals, baptisms and other such events. My other half on the other hand, did not. Of course, what we have attended together to this point, we were both attending as males, and that was easy enough to work with.

Now, she has spent a lot of years perfecting the art of the female illusionist on stage and is a phenomenal performer. The key is, when you are on stage, you want to stand out and be noticed. At a social event like a wedding, you are better off blending in. I had to put the foot down and reserve executive veto on this topic, just to keep it from becoming a fiasco. Mind you, my family is open and supportive, but my cousin works in NYC and most of his exposure to gender bending is the flaming drag queens down there. He was a little concerned as his wife-to-be's family seems to have a slightly conservative streak to it. I worked very hard to explain that no one would be aware that there was anything other than female to my other half and set his mind at ease.

Of course, this led to a whole lot of spirited discussion between my other half and myself in regards to appropriate wedding wear. Thankfully, we finally managed to settle on an outfit that we both like.

This looks to be a great weekend ahead, and will be our first real social function since the transition began. I am looking forward to it with great anticipation and think that it will go very well and will do a whole lot to help out her self image and confidence levels as well.

Have a great weekend and I will fill you in when we get back :)

No comments: